Saturday, April 02, 2005

Bloc Party: How Do I Hate Thee? Let Me Count the Ways...

I was planning to review "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum," featuring my friend Nessa Norich, held at the Roone Arledge Theater at Columbia. Unfortunately I didn't know it was at Roone Arledge, and so I checked every other theater between 110th and 120th streets, in vain.

Instead, here's a synopsis of Bloc Party I did for The Columbia Spectator, which will appear in Friday's issue:

“Angular” guitars reach their low in Bloc Party. Hailing from South London, Bloc Party takes British brethren Franz Ferdinand and the Futureheads a step further, embracing not only early 80s dance and decade-spanning art rock, but also mainstream modern rock. Bloc Party’s latest release, Silent Alarm, follows up on the inexplicable success of the band’s self-titled EP, which was released last year. The result is a lazy, generic mess, short on hooks and with lyrics unaffected by lead singer’s Kele Okereke’s unintelligible accent. And, of course, two sold-out dates at the Bowery Ballroom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumbass! Bloc Party have sick riffs and disgustingly good drumming. And Kele is a fine singer.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot stand bloc party. my coworker plays them all the time. every time one of their songs comes on it makes me violently sick. please break up already!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home